What types of companies can I register in Malta?
- • limited liability companies;
- • limited partnerships;
- • general partnerships.
Each form of business is subject to certain company formation conditions for which our team of company incorporation specialists in Malta can offer complete assistance.
How can I register a private LLC in Malta?
The private limited liability company is the most employed type of business vehicle in Malta. According to the Maltese Company Act
, a private limited liability company must have a minimum share capital of EUR 1,165. However, if the share capital does not exceed the minimum requirements, it must be fully subscribed upon incorporation. If it exceeds the minimum share capital
, at least 20% of the amount must be deposited. The private company is also required to have at least two shareholders, one director, one company secretary, and a registered office. The legislation does not require the company’s directors
to be Maltese residents.
How can I register a public LLC in Malta?
Limited liability companies may also be registered as public companies during the process of company formation in Malta. This type of company is required to have at least two shareholders who will subscribe a minimum share capital of approximately EUR 46,600 of which at least 25% must be paid upon the incorporation of the company. Compared to the private company, the public company must have at least two directors and may trade its shares on the Maltese Stock Exchange.
Documents for company formation in Malta
The most important documents for company incorporation in Malta are the memorandum and the articles of association. These must contain:
- • the type of company and the name and residence of each shareholder;
- • the name of the company and the registered office in Malta;
- • the objects of activity and the minimum share capital (plus the contribution for each member);
- • the name of the registered agent and the board of managers;
- • the name and residence of the company secretary for your firm in Malta.
Copies of the passport or other identification papers of the directors and secretaries must also be submitted with the Maltese Trade Register.
Foreign citizens are not required to come to Malta
for the incorporation procedure. They can appoint a representative agent and give him/her the power of attorney for legal representation.
Steps for company incorporation in Malta
Here is information about the main stages to consider when starting the process of company formation in Malta:
- Select the proper business structure for your future operations in Malta.
- Prepare at least 3 unique names for your company and solicit a name verification in this sense with the Registry of Companies in Malta.
- Open a bank account in Malta and draft the minimum share capital imposed for your business.
- Prepare and submit the Articles of Association and the Memorandum for your firm in Malta.
- Apply for the proper business licenses and permits before starting the activities in Malta.
- Register for tax purposes as soon as the company receives the certificate of incorporation issued by the Registry of Companies in Malta.
Branches in Malta
Foreign companies may also set up branch offices in Malta, while for individuals looking for a simpler way of doing business in the country, the sole proprietorship is the best option. Our experts in company formation in Malta can help you choose the right type of company.
Costs for forming a company in Malta
Foreign investors interested in company incorporation in Malta should consider the approximate costs for starting a business in this country. Here are a few details presented by our firm:
- Registration fee: the standard registration fee is set at EUR 375, but it might vary depending on the chosen city for business.
- Minimum share capital: EUR 1,165 is necessary for opening a private limited liability company and EUR 46,600 for a public LLC.
- Virtual office cost: approximately EUR 125 per month for a virtual office package.
- Company formation fee: approximately EUR 1,350, but a tailored offer can be provided by our team.
- Accounting costs for your company: from EUR 50/month (for a package that contains bookkeeping services, tax advice and many more).
Are there other requirements for company formation in Malta?
Once the registration procedure is concluded, the company must also apply for a business license and other necessary permits depending on the activity to be carried out. The company must also apply for a tax identification number (TIN) and register for VAT
. The last step is to obtain an employer identification number (PE number) and register its employees with the Employment Training Corporation (ETC). If you need tax advice in Switzerland, we can put you in contact with our partners, a team of experienced tax advisors in Zürich
Virtual office services in Malta
A virtual office in Malta
is directed to business persons who want to test the market and have no operational costs for traditional offices. Among the virtual office services in Malta
we mention the collection of incoming and outgoing faxes, voice mailbox, call redirecting to the private local number on request, the collection of bank statements and many more. We are at your disposal with information about the virtual office services we can offer in Malta
Can I receive management services for my company in Malta?
Yes, foreign investors with companies in Malta can receive secretarial services, trust services, and nominee shareholders on request. Our Maltese company formation representatives can handle the management services and can cater to your needs as a foreign business investor in this state.
We also invite you to contact
our team of company formation consultants in Malta
for in-depth information and assistance about the services we can provide.